Warm hummus with spiced aubergine
This is the point of the post where I should reminisce about travel across the Middle East, feasting on this delicacy with the locals after a long day traversing the desert by camel or something.
To be completely fair, it was inspired by a long journey across Mid Ulster, by transit connect.
Which is probably even more uncomfortable than a camel.
Although does have DAB.
Swings and roundabouts I guess.
Anyway, after traversing Mid-Ulster I traversed the middle aisle of M&S Ballyhackamore where I was offered the opportunity to liberate myself of several of my hard-earned nuggets of gold in exchange for some hummus I could put in the microwave and make a ‘meal’ out of.
Oh how I laughed.
Except I couldn’t get the idea out of my tiny little mind.
WITH EXTRA TASTY BITS?
WHAT IS THIS MAGIC AND SORCERY?
I MUST EAT IT IMMEDIATELY.
But rather than liberate myself of my hard-earned nuggets at my local convenience store, I made my own version.
And it is pretty damn amazing.
I suggest you try it immediately.
Grab an aubergine.
LOL at the connotations of its emoji.
Slice the end of the aubergine off.
And then slice the aubergine lengthways into slices as thick as a pound coin.
Peel two garlic cloves.
Cut the green stalk off a red chilli.
Chuck them in a blender with some salt…
And balsamic vinegar.
Blend it real good.
Then use a pastry brush to brush it all over your slices of aubergine.
I know, I know, I don’t usually have the patience for a pastry brush either and go for the splash and dash approach and then have actual life regrets when my aubergine isn’t all crispy and tasty in some places.
Learn from my mistakes, people.
Learn from my mistakes.
And also, give me some praise for how evenly these slices are coated, kthnxbai.
Then put in the oven for 10-15 minutes, until cooked.
When that is in the oven, start off your hummus.
Chuck a tin of drained chickpeas into a blender (M&S did manage to get some of my hard earned cash)…
With a clove of garlic…
The juice of half a lemon…
As well as some olive oil, salt and water.
Blitz it up.
Blitz it good.
Transfer the blitzed hummus to a dish and cover with foil, then put in the oven for 10 minutes to warm.
Remove the hummus from the oven…
Top with the aubergine slices…
And serve, with a green salad and some flatbreads or pitta to dip.
Warm hummus with spiced aubergine
Serves 2. Cooking time 20 minutes.
- 1 tin chickpeas
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 1/2 lemon
- 1 aubergine
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 red chilli
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
- Cut the stalk off the aubergine and slice into thick slices lengthways.
- Peel two cloves of garlic, chop the stalk off the chilli, and place in a blender.
- Add the sugar, half a teaspoon of the salt, 2 tablespoons of oil and the balsamic and blend.
- Brush the mixture evenly over your aubergine slices, and lay flat on a baking tray.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Drain the chickpeas and places in a blender with 2 tablespoons oil, the cumin, the juice from half a lemon, the tahini, half a teaspoon of salt and the final garlic clove, peeled.
- Add 150ml water and blend well
- Transfer to a serving dish, cover with foil and bake for 10 minutes, until warmed through.
- Remove the hummus from the oven, top with the aubergine slices, and serve.